Saturday, May 24, 2008

Photo Collage

The other day I was surfing the new on dzone, and came across a link to the following photoshop tutorial. I though this was cool, and since I don't have photoshop, I was going to try and create this via gimp, which I have done with many photoshop tutorials. The more I looked at this, the more I though about writing an application to automate this task, and just to see if I could do it. I wrote the application using java, and their is a screenshot of it in action below.


The application supports using any background image you like, adding extra polaroid like photos, adding drop shadows to the photos, and moving and rotating the photos. You can also save your newly created work of art as well, you can see the lovely image of my son fixing his bike that I created below.



I will probably provide more details of what was involved to create the application in another post, or I may update this post. There are still many things that could be done to make it more functional, but hey it's not bad for a few hours of work. It probably would have taken me more time to recreate this image in Photoshop or Gimp, but hey I'm no artist. You can try the application out for yourself by pressing the orange button below. Once the application opens up, click select photo to load a photo of your choice, don't worry the screen will still look black after doing this, then click add photo to add a polaroid. You should now see your background image showing through the photo, add a few more and have fun. NOTE: You will need to have java 5 or greater installed, if you do not have it you can click on the 'Get Java Software' button below.

Launch Button


GetJava Download Button

No comments: